What's new

Welcome!

Register to discuss and interact with fellow players

OK, Sign up

Community Railroad

Lianail

Hardcore
Hardcore
Firefliez or something like that was one of the owners. I just found and claimed a line along z:975

Lianail

Hardcore
Hardcore
Thought people were aware that shooting an arrow ahead of you at the track stops the minecart, disembarks you and has the cart ready to collect.

If the carts stop and are collected, do people get a new one rolled out for them.

Last time I was on the junction, one track connected and the other did not, but when I originally left it, both tracks connected.
1) No, I didn't know about that "feature"

2) for the junctions / terminals with cart collection, there is a dispenser as well. At many of the locations, you have the option to continue or exit. Only choosing the "Exit" option goes to collection. The best example we have at the moment is at x=4000, z=6000. That is a 3 way rail junction, plus a disembark station.

3) The junction at your base connects going in and going out, it just doesn't loop at that end. If you go on at the same time as me, then we can discuss different connection types and the way you want it setup. The main line (ie z=8000) needs to be the primary path through. Personal spurs are an alternate route.

I can take anyone on a TP Tour of the junctions to show different examples, just give me a yell in-game.

Scraggles

Guardian
was thinking of the main line with a loop into the personal area and then exit by the other loop, so that the rail is continuous, looks a bit like the omega symbol

Lianail

Hardcore
Hardcore
OK, now I understand. That's problematic if the loop is more than a dozen or so blocks. It already takes more than 15 minutes to take the rail from one end to the other. If we forced a ride through everyone's spur rails, this would never be a viable solution for transportation.

Scraggles

Guardian
only 15 mins ? used to have a large railway on another server that was a good 45 mins from start to finish, used quite a lot as there were flags to let people know of a diversion and then they could use a bow and arrow to stop and divert

Lianail

Hardcore
Hardcore
I haven't timed it. Just finished the spawn line all the way to the border of spawn. So the rail now goes all the way from spawn to the border of blue market. I found a path through on z=975-980

I'm working on using trapped chests as a switch mechanism so you can hit them while moving. That way you won't have to stop at junctions unless you want to. As you see in your post above. I've used the flags above also. They let you know what line you are on and what's coming up ahead.

Last edited:

Lianail

Hardcore
Hardcore
The idea sounds great on paper, the problem is with actually making it a reallity, it would loads of railroad and a lot of time, which is a luxury not everyone has.

If you really want to go trough with it, I would love to make some place for a train station or something like that, but the plan sounds just too unreal to accomplish.
Hey Walkeruno, have you ridden it yet?

Lianail

Hardcore
Hardcore
I've added a whole bunch of things in the "Railroad Commission" building as examples / tutorials of how rail can be used. I also added a display on how to read the banners / signage.

tetrix

-= Phantom =-
Hi Lianail. I have mapped out your railway (highlighted in blue line) to my tunnel map for your reference.

Lianail

Hardcore
Hardcore
Cobrex, in the terminal station, it needs to have a place for incoming carts to be collected, (perhaps stored) and then dispensed. Otherwise carts will either clutter the area or not be available for people to ride. We also need to consider allowing a system (it doesn't have to be fast) for a person to get 1 cart for a horse/lama or other non-mypet pet into a cart to transport. One of the goals is to allow people to bring a horse they've trained at their base to the horsetrack for racing.:cool:

Scraggles

Guardian
since the railway is all very high to stop mobs, how can a horse or lama be transported up 50 blocks or so to reach the railway ?

Lianail

Hardcore
Hardcore
Tetrix' tunnels have a spiral staircase you can lead a mount down. You can do the same going up to the rail. Optionally, there is no reason for everyone's stations to be at y85 just because the main lines are there. You could instead bring your own station to ground level. Amorfatis's station is setup that way. You might also want to note that Cobrex and Harry want most of the new lines to go about 20-30 below ground level instead of above it.

Scraggles

Guardian
pretty much all of my canals are at #11 which is good for mining, should be interesting dropping the new lines under water :)